Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship 2024
Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship 2024 is open in various categories therefore qualify applicants can apply now before the closing date.
Each year, the Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship awards scholarships for Postgraduate studies in South Africa. Students who are from any African country, with an exceptional academic record and the desire to pursue a postgraduate qualification in the 2024 academic year, are invited to apply.
The MRF Scholarship will cover Postgraduate studies (1 year Honours degree or a 2 years Masters’s degree), in ANY field of study, at any recognized South African tertiary institute.
More About The MRF Scholarship Programme – Coverage Value
The scholarship will provide financial support for the following study related expenses: registration fees, tuition fees, study material allowance, research allowance, medical aid allowance, meal and accommodation allowance, personal allowance and an economy-class flight ticket to and from your home country to your university in South Africa, at the beginning and end of your degree studies.
Tuition and registration fees are paid to the tertiary institution directly, and allowances are paid to students twice a year. Scholarship recipients will be required to provide proof of registration at the beginning of the year, and a university progress report 2 weeks after the second semester begins.
Apart from the financial support, scholars will take part in the leadership development programme which will help them build skills to solve some of the biggest challenges in Africa. The programme is conducted online or at in-person workshops and is built on the Foundation’s founding principles (which include: education, leadership, entrepreneurship, reconciliation and and a belief that leadership begins with inner transformation).
Please note: If you are a citizen of an African country other than South Africa, you will be required to obtain a passport and visa to study in South Africa – the cost and application process therefore is for the students own responsibility and account. If you have not yet been accepted to a university in South Africa, this may delay the process of getting your visa approved so please ensure that you apply to a tertiary institution as soon as possible.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- Must be a South African citizen OR a citizen of any other African country
- Must be willing to travel to South Africa to study (if residing in another African country)
- Must be between 19 and 29 years old (and must be under the age of 30 at the time you take up the scholarship: 1 January 2024)
- Must have completed an undergraduate Degree qualification OR be in your final year of your undergraduate degre studies
- Must have achieved a minimum overall average of 70% in your Degree qualification
- Must intend on studying towards a Postgraduate qualification (Honours degree or Masters degree only – MBA studies are NOT covered)
- Must study at a recognised institution of higher education in South Africa
- Must have strong leadership skills and have been in a position of leadership
- Must have made an impact on your campus or community
- Must show potential to embody the MRF’s founding principles (education, leadership, entrepreneurship, reconciliation)
- Must have SAQA verification of your qualifications if you are shortlisted, not required for initial scholarship application (see see if your qualification is SAQA verified, visit http://www.saqa.org.za
How to Apply for The MRF Scholarship
Students who meet the eligibility criteria, may apply online at: https://www.mandelarhodes.org/scholarship/apply/
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- South African ID document (certified copy)
- Passport, if not an SA citizen
- Degree certificate
- Transcripts of your academic results
- Details of your proposed course of study (university application is not required, but it is recommended that you apply to more than 1 university ASAP)
- 3 recommendation letters (from people who know you and your character well) (recommenders must submit their letters via the application platform before you can submit your full application)
- 2 short essays (1 about your own personal journey, and 1 on a specific question regarding MRF principles)
Please note that following selection process and dates:
2) Applications close on 20 April 2024.
3) Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the end of June 2024 and moved on to round 2.
4) Further shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the end of July 2024 and moved on to round 3.
5) All candidates will be contacted by by the end of August 2024 to inform them if they have been unsuccessful or been invited for an interview in the final round.
6) Students will be invited to attend a virtual interview and will be notified by the end of October 2024 if they have been selected to receive a scholarship.
* Selected Mandela Rhodes Scholars must then secure a placement at university between October and December 2024, and a study visa if from outside of South Africa.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
Contact The MRF Scholarship Provider
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact the Mandela Rhodes Foundation directly:
Email: [email protected]